Two Secchi disks will be available, so teams may divided into pairs for this activity. One person will lower the disk and one person will hold the reel. Two set of hands on the line at all times.
- Each pair will choose a location to work from on the boat (may be opposite sides). They will need to consider wind direction- disk should not drift under boat, and line should not play out at more than a 15 degree angle in any direction.
- Teams will lower the disks slowly into the water, looking straight down and noting the change in appearance of the disk as it descends into the water.
- Line is marked in half-meter intervals; pairs will keep track of how many marks go under the surface.
- When the disk disappears, teams will carefully raise and lower the disk to come to consensus on the exact depth at which is no longer observable. This will be the Secchi Disk Depth. Test may be repeated as needed.
- Disks will then be retrieved, with lines carefully rewound, and stowed for the next team.
DISCOVER CAYUGA LAKE
- Seasonal cycles and responses to specific weather events
- Trophic Status indicator and applications
- Historical patterns